Game Development
Dev57868022
2015-10-16 09:37:38 UTC
I Want to learn to load and render 3ds file format on opengl screen. Please describe me in easy way.
Jean-Christophe
2015-10-16 16:24:51 UTC
Post by Dev57868022
I Want to learn to load and render 3ds file format on opengl screen.
Please describe me in easy way.
AFAIK there's no "easy way" to do this : you'll have to parse the chunk
headers and then process data accordingly, which means that you
first have to learn the file format before writing your loader's code.

Here's the file structure description :
http://www.martinreddy.net/gfx/3d/3DS.spec

HTH
R.Wieser
2015-10-16 23:12:24 UTC
Dev57868022,

Although I agree with Jean-christophe, the easiest way is to look at how
others did it. So, google someone who posted his/her sourcecode, and study
it.

Ofcourse, this is assuming you actually want to *learn*, instead of having a
loader. If not, the easiest way is to include the found sourcecode into
your own project. :-)

Regards,
Rudy Wieser
Johann Klammer
2015-10-17 06:58:08 UTC
There was a lib3ds once, with a demo for openGL... does it still exist?
Jean-Christophe
2015-10-17 09:30:12 UTC
Post by Johann Klammer
There was a lib3ds once, with a demo for openGL... does it still exist?
Try to search (for instance, GNU)
https://code.google.com/p/lib3ds/
J. Scheurich
2016-02-14 18:51:32 UTC
Post by Dev57868022
I Want to learn to load and render 3ds file format on opengl screen. Please describe me in easy way.
There is a additional way to lib3ds, but it is a bit more complicated:

There is a program to render X3D/VRML with opengl/jogl: white_dune

http://wdune.ourproject.org/

First you have to convert your 3ds file to a X3D file, this can be
either done with 3D Studio MAX or blender (blender can not export
animations to X3D).

With white_dune, you can export a C, C++ or java file.

In wdune*/docs you can find export_example_c* or
export_example_java with example how to render the
exported scenegraph with GLUT/OpenGL (or jogl).

so long
MUFTI